Welcome!

After much deliberating, I've decided to start a blog. Jerad and I are so proud of our first home. We are constantly working to improve it, so we thought we'd share our journey with you. Happy renovating!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Master Bath Reno

So there are a ton of pictures, but I'll be brief.  I think we've made a huge improvement.  What do you think?

Before: with previous owner's things.
Green/ yellow faux marble countertops..pink walls and pink cabinets.
 This is the view of the powder room.  Notice there's not a door on the end looking into the PINK bedroom.
Another view from the bedroom

 First, Karen and I thought we could paint it and make everything go away.  We chose blue.
 Slight improvement, but because I get up at 6am, I couldn't use the powder room because my dear hubby would still be sleeping.  So I crammed into the bathroom, closed the door and suffocated myself before work trying to get ready.
 Then I convinced Jerad that we NEEDED a renovation.  This room was truly my vision.  I priced a few contractors and went with one mid-range. 

First, I had him knock out the wall between the two rooms and move the doorway to the end (between bedroom and big bathroom).  To save money, I kept the existing cabinets as they were in great shape.  I had them add a piece of plywood on top of the cabinetry to raise the height of the countertop (Jerad and I are tall!).  New toilet, new shower, new tile floor and new countertop.
Bye bye shower!
Next, I had him adjust our lighting.  Originally, I wanted canned lighting in the ceiling, but once we removed the fur downs and noticed all the lovely AC pipes, gas lines, and wires, we decided to condense and shrink our fur downs and add the canned lighting in them.  I really like the way it turned out!  Notice the original fur down line...the new ones are about half the size!


New tile shower (without grout in this picture)!  Another $$ saving point-  I had them cut tile and make a design at head's height instead buying different tile to make a contrast.  This was cheaper than buying completely new boxes of different tile to make the design.  It's cheaper to buy in bulk and adds a bit of visual interest!
Fresh paint on the walls, lighting, toilet, and shower...and NEW countertop and sinks!  We kept our existing hardware for the sinks.
Final product!
Our mirror was $99 from Garden Ridge
Lately, I've added some beachy accessories.
 Love that fish!
This is basically what it looks like now. 
 Home sweet home!





3 comments: