Welcome!

After much deliberating, I've decided to start a blog. Jerad and I are so proud of our first home. We are constantly working to improve it, so we thought we'd share our journey with you. Happy renovating!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring is finally here!

Jerad and I have been busy bees around our house.  For the first time in almost two yearssss, we're focusing on the outside landscaping!  So fun to be outside and enjoy the sunshine. 

This is the front of the house before-  we have basic shrubs in the front.  I have pansies in the ground and gernaniums and petunias in the pots.  I planted the pots two weeks ago.  I think our front yard needs a little pizzazz!



After: I gave the bushes a much needed trim.    This gives our windows more light-  they look much more organized.  Too bad I cut through the extension cord on my first go 'round with the hedge trimer....nothing a quick trip to Ace can't fix.  hehehe- oops!
Picture of the backyard shrubs-  not sure what kind these are, but I love them.  They change from light green to dark, to orange, then red.  Year-round color..their my little 'button bushes'.
I also added some petunias to some of my existing pots in the backyard.  I have 2 ferns and petunias (purple) and another pot filled with fresh herbs-  looovvvee Rosemary, Oregano and Cilantro...I honestly can't get enough for my cooking! 

 Back to the front yard-  I got the bright idea to rip out the shrubs on the far left side of the house and test azaleas.  I didn't realize how 'established' the shrubs roots were and what a difficult task ripping them out would be for my back!  Oopsies!  But after hours of digging and pulling, I finally got them out.  I planted three- three galloon azaleas in the front with a couple impatients for fun.  I bought particular soil and mulch to keep the acidity level balanced, so I hope they do well.  These are Encore Azaleas and will bloom three times a year.  I'm going to try to duplicate Mama Bonilla's yard eventually!  I'll keep you updated!

 Emily Base handed down some cana lily bulbs for my back yard as well.  Thank goodness Mrs. Drake likes to dig up her garden occassionally!  Emily and I receive the benefit.  I hope they eventually blossom and give my backyard bed some texture and color.  I'll give you an update in a couple months!
Trees- our Bradford Pears and Crape Myrtles are soooo close to blooming!  I'll post pictures when they choose to grace us with their presence.  Can't wait!  (Note: the angel in the far left is from Karly, Jerad's sis.  Thanks Kar!)

No comments:

Post a Comment